The beginning; Mac wants AJ, and starts to flirt subtly.
1) Bird York -- Wicked Little High
2) Alanis Morissette -- Uninvited
Then they done sex.
3) Garbage -- Sex is Not the Enemy
AJ and Mac know they can't have sex again, but they still want to be friends--and they still want each other.
4) Suzanne Vega -- Caramel
AJ proposes they spend New Year's Eve together.
5) The Beatles -- Strawberry Fields Forever (Also for the running theme of strawberries.)
6) Greenwheel -- Breathe
7) Fiona Apple -- Slow Like Honey
Mac and AJ continue their non-relationship relationship.
8) Barenaked Ladies -- Lovers in a Dangerous Time
9) Norah Jones -- I've Got to See You Again
10) Switchfoot -- On Fire
AJ decides they can't be lovers anymore.
11) Bob Dylan -- You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
12) Faith Hill -- Stronger
Mac and Joe grow closer, and AJ regrets his decision.
13) The Eagles -- Desperado
Mac returns to AJ after her disastrous night with Joe.
14) Train -- Drops of Jupiter
AJ discovers that Mac and Joe have been... intimate.
15) The Police -- King of Pain
16) Idina Menzel -- Straw into Gold
17) Eva Cassidy -- Autumn Leaves
18) A Perfect Circle -- Passive
Post-fight. AJ tries to apologize--Mac wants him to stay away from her.
19) Mari Wilson -- Cry Me a River
20) Natalie Merchant -- My Skin
21) Fiona Apple -- The Child is Gone
(I skip a huge period of time here. If you can think of any music that fits the recovery/Mac quits/AJ's friend dies/camping trip arc, please let me know.)
Mac gets sick of AJ's pussyfooting around about going public with their relationship. She walks out.
22) Brandy -- Almost Doesn't Count
Mac's determined to force AJ to make a decision.
23) Coldplay -- Speed of Sound
24) Idina Menzel -- Follow If You Lead
(This is where I want those four songs. The engagement party/boat chapters.)
And they live Happily Ever After. (Or something like that.)
25) Coldplay -- Careful Where You Stand
26) Idina Menzel -- Minuet